CHVI R&D Alliance Coordinating Office (ACO)
The Canadian HIV Vaccine Initiative (CHVI) Research and Development Alliance Coordinating Office (ACO) was established at the International Centre for Infectious Diseases (ICID) in Winnipeg in November 2011 as part of the
Renewed CHVI Vaccine Initiative. The ACO is working to enhance Canada’s HIV research capacity by establishing and supporting a national network of researchers and identifying new opportunities for international collaboration. The ACO is funded by the Public Health Agency of Canada.
The vision of the Alliance Coordinating Office is to integrate a national network of researchers through high-impact programs that capitalize on Canada’s strengths, create new opportunities for international collaboration and ensure that Canada is a leading contributor to the global HIV vaccine research effort.
This is being achieved by:
Building on Canadian strengths and defining Canada’s niche
• Identify and promote areas of strength;
• Support strategic decision-making for investment into HIV vaccine research; and
• Work with partners to help train the next generation of HIV vaccine researchers and raise the priority of training nationally.
Defining clear goals
• Advance basic science;
• Translate basic science to preclinical and technology development; and
• Foster the enabling conditions for deployment of an effective vaccine in Canada and globally.
Ensuring effective collaboration
• Act as a conduit for national and international collaborations that advance complementary mandates;
• Mobilize non-HIV researchers to bring new insights, technologies and infrastructure to the field of HIV vaccine research; and
• Facilitate information exchange, collaboration and co-ordination across diverse national and international research efforts.
One of the main objectives of the ACO is to work with networks of existing partners in Canada and internationally. Through these networks, members of the CHVI Alliance will have access to information on the latest HIV vaccine developments, thereby ensuring their work is well-informed and aligns with global efforts to develop a safe and effective HIV vaccine.
The ACO focuses on building and sustaining the CHVI Research and Development Alliance (Alliance), advising the Government of Canada and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation on research gaps, prospecting innovative proposals to respond to identified gaps and promoting synergy between Alliance members.
CHVI Research and Development Alliance Partners
• Health Canada
• Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA)
• Industry Canada
• Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR)
• Public Health Agency of Canada
• Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Visit the ACO website at alliance-aco.ca